FASyS, towards excellence in occupational health and safety
On 2 November last, the FASyS consortium presented the results achieved during its second year of operation to the CDTI.
The review on the part of the CDTI (Centre for Industrial Technological Development) of the project activities carried out in 2010 was held at the headquarters of the project leader, Nextel S.A., in Zamudio. The person in charge of monitoring FASYS gave a positive assessment of the work carried out and encouraged the consortium to continue working along the same lines in order to meet the targets set.
FASyS (Fábrica Absolutamente Segura y Saludable - Absolutely Safe and Healthy Factory), is a project which will last 40 months and has a budget of €23.3m. It is one of the 18 big national strategic projects backed by the CDTI as part of the 2009 CENIT programme. The consortium is made up of 13 firms and 14 research teams, which are responsible for carrying out the complete development process for the project. Nextel S.A. is leading the consortium, with the following bodies responsible for its management the Innovalia Association and Invema, the technological unit of the AFM, Spanish Association of Machine Tool Manufacturers.
FASyS will enable a new generation of technologies and safety mechanisms to be implemented in the handling, machining and assembly industry, as well as the reference model for excellence in occupational health and safety management to be generated, thereby helping to improve companies’ competitiveness levels.
The FASyS project is structured on 8 lines of work. The first two are horizontal levels which establish the bases for the project. On the one hand, work is being done on the FASyS benchmark factory model, with it having been divided into 10 levels. On the other hand, work is also focusing on establishing the FASyS model for responsibility, taking into account gender, regulatory, legal, working context aspects, etc.
As far as the technological development of the project is concerned, the following results achieved in the 2010 phase stand out:
- In the field of industrial communications, a communications architecture has been established and the main sensor systems have been selected.
- Among the improvements in the occupational health area the technological and health model for health monitoring has been established.
- The technology has been specified for identifying risk situations together with the FASyS models and tools for the proactive monitoring of safety.
- As for the development of FASyS manufacturing equipment, the initial designs have been completed for active safety systems in machine tools.
- There have also been proposals for a system-management architecture, an initial focus on occupational medical records and the initial design of the control system.
- In order to bring together all the technologies developed as part of the project and validate their functionality the living lab environments for the trials have been identified and prepared.